Riverview man shaken up after battery explodes in pocket

A man from Riverview, N.B., is speaking out after his spare e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket, leaving him shaken and scared.

Wayne Walker says the incident left him with scars, which have since faded. But he say the memory remains fresh.

Just before Christmas he threw a spare battery in his pocket, along with his car keys and went to work.

All was normal until he saw the sparks.

“All of a sudden my jacket just exploded,” said Walker. “I knew right away that's what it was. I knew it had to do with my vape, and it all just happened so fast. The main thing was to get everything off of me.”

Photos from that day show his charred jacked, melted pants and burns on his side and legs.
Go to top