First 'e-cigarette child death': New York baby dies after drinking liquid nicotine

A one-year-old baby has died in New York state after drinking from what is thought to have been an e-cigarette refill bottle, prompting calls to change how the liquid nicotine products are presented. The death was described by local police as a “tragic accident”, and is thought to be the first to involve a child and e-cigarettes. An ambulance was called to a home in Fort Plain, New York, to reports of an “unresponsive” child last Tuesday, ABC News reported. He was rushed to hospital, but pronounced dead a short while later. In a statement, Fort Plain police’s Sgt Austin Ryan confirmed that the child had drunk from a glass bottle containing liquid nicotine that did not have a childproof cap. Officers declined to say whether or not the liquid was linked to e-cigarette use.
Go to top